Wednesday, November 9, 2011

The Wartiglesmen: reasons for concern

If the plain men from Opelika take a victory Saturday in Athens it'll likely be because of one or more of the following:
  • The route that wheels. We seem to have little hope of containing it, much less stopping it. I mean if a directional school just north of Juarez can slip a back out and up undetected, then Malzahn would have to be I ate the worm drunk Saturday to not try this at least 10 or more times. 
  • Continued lapse in special teams. I'm sure I wasn't the only one that noticed special teams were about the only place we didn't see wholesale personnel changes Saturday once the game got out of hand. Modest improvement over what happened in Jacksonville. Unless we can sneak enough helium in the ball to get touchbacks everytime, I'll still be holding my breath during War Tigers kick returns. 
  • Along the same lines...a kicking conundrum. It's 4th and 3 from the Auburn 28 in the 4th quarter. You're Coach Richt and we need points...what do you do? Hell, regardless of time and score...what do you do?
    • Go for it. The chances of a 1st down are as good or better than getting 3 points.
    • Send in Walsh. He's our guy. Stick with him.
    • Send it Bogatay. Time for change. Let's see what the guy from Poland California can do.
  • Whatever the call is (and let's be honest, it would be one of the first two) I'm sure Richt will have decided on it before 3:30 Saturday.
Beyond Penn Wagers' Yugo being parked somewhere adjacent to Sanford, that's what I've got. How about you?

7 comments:

Paul Garrard said...

I think he handles Walsh like he did against UF. Give him A chance to show things are better. Upon the first screw up we will be going for it on 4th. Now on 4th and short he may not give Walsh that chance. 

JaxDawg05 said...

I, like you, wouldn't be surprised to see Awbun FB Blitzenkerkin chip Jarvis Jones on his way out for a wide open route in the flats SEVERAL times on Saturday.

Big Muddy Dawg said...

I can't stop laughing at the image of Penn Wagers driving a Yugo.

Lowcountry Dawg said...

You are right about the wheel route.  If we somehow take care of business and get to Atlanta can't you just see LSU (or Bama or Arkansas) running the hell out of that play. Seems like we could have a linebacker looking for that one.  Overall though, I am very proud of the defense.  Maybee Bobo should look at that wheel route with Brandon Harton. He is so small noone will see him until it is too late. Keep up the good work Bernie. My day is never complete until I laugh out loud to something you wrote.

Bernie said...

You're probably right. I think CMR has handled the place kicking situation about as well as any head coach could.

Of course my preference would be to just go ahead and score of every first down. That's not asking too much is it?

Bernie said...

That is laughable...since he probably just rides a Schwinn. You know, with one of those tall orange flags...honking the horn at every pedestrian, baby stroller and senior citizen that gets in his way.

Bernie said...

You read everyday? Jeez. Thanks for the added pressure. I thought that was my mom.