Wednesday, November 9, 2011

the not so Happy Valley mirror

I just don't have the stomach to get too deep into the mess in Happy Valley. I try to find solace in the hope that each person involved, from Joe Paterno down to the the administrators and officials that stood in his shadow, get their due punishment one day for turning a blind eye on what was going on.


For Sundusky...quite simply, his days should be spent in eternal hell.


But as a college football fan, I forced myself to read this blog post - "I am... Penn State..." by Hamlet's Mistress. After attempting to acknowledge the pain that the direct victims must feel at the years and years of abuse and neglect going on in the Penn State Athletic offices, I turn second to the indirect victims...the Nittany Lion fans, players and Penn State alumni. This is written by just one of them. My guess is it speaks for thousands.
I am…  so many things that I can’t list them all.  But let me name a few.  Disgusted, shocked, ashamed, humiliated, angry.
I am a Penn State grad class of 2000.  While I don’t talk about it all the time and I’m not constantly rah-rah-ing about my choice of higher educational institution, I have always been very proud to be counted among the Penn State Alumni base.  Penn State Nation.  It is one of the things in my life I am the most proud of.
Having that stripped away…  I feel almost like I’ve lost a part of my identity.  And it’s one of those things that you never really know how much a part of you it is until it’s gone.
I am not proud of my alma mater anymore.  I don’t know if I will ever be proud of it again.
Gut wrenching. And that's just a snippet. Read the whole thing and tell me you wouldn't feel the same way if something of this nature were uncovered at UGA. What was brought to light at Miami recently is a Sunday School lesson compared to this mess in Happy Valley.


While I can't possibly imagine what Sandusky's victims have gone through all these years, I try my best to empathize with the Penn State fans, faculty and alumni. If there is anything that would force me away from my seat in Sanford Stadium or a television set this Saturday...if there's one thing that could turn my stomach at the sight of MY team...damn.


I hurt for that monster's victims. I feel for the Penn State Nation.


h/t @TLanceB for the link

4 comments:

Ginny said...

I've thought the same exact thing. I have so much pride for my alma mater that it's a huge part of who I am. I can't imagine having to essentially disown my allegiances but that is exactly what I would have to do. Everything about this situation is so dirty, so vile, that I would have a hard time attending football games, or any sporting event for that matter, knowing what occurred right there on campus. It is truly the definition of tragic for everyone involved.

Matthew Smith said...

I cannot imagine being a grown man, seeing that take place, and not physically interveening at that very moment.  I am disgusted by everything I hear about this and, God forbid, if this were to happen at UGA, I would hope that we would handle it better than PSU has.  I am angry, sad, irate, so much that I find it hard to talk about this without shaking.  Shame on McCreery, JoePa, and everyone else who knew and did nothing.  I hope Sandusky rots and burns

Bernie said...

If I were a Penn State fan I would have to go support the team I think. IDK, it's a hard spot to be in. Once the stands turned into a Joe Paterno love fest I would have to excuse myself though.

Ugh.

Bernie said...

I'm quite sure it would be handled better. Afterall, it couldn't be handled any worse.