Sunday, August 14, 2011

Star rising to new heights

So far, this has been the biggest news of Fall camp for me. Branden Smith has gone from a offensive weapon of mass destruction to a defensive force on the edge.
“Right now, he’s a different guy to me,” coach Mark Richt said.
Smith has created buzz as a Bulldog during his career for what he’s done on offense. He scored a pair of touchdowns as a freshman, including a 61-yard touchdown on a reverse against South Carolina.
“I’m an athlete,” Smith said. “I want to be known for both. I’m trying to do whatever just to get the ball in my hands.”
Smith is focused this month on “trying to get a starting spot” on defense, but he actually started in all nine games he appeared in last year. Smith missed the other four games because of two concussions.
This is big for Smith, but also big in terms of the flexibility it gives Lakatos with Sanders Commings. I'll say it again, the more Commings is able to play safety the better.

No comments: