Sunday, February 24, 2013

Around the tailgate - the 2013 offense

So, while I'm away we take the pulse of the tailgate. Today it's the offense.

And what about the offense? How key was Murray coming back for a final season? What is a reasonable goal to set in terms of offensive production in 2013?


Joe Waterloo - I think the offense won’t miss a beat and I think that would be the case with Murray or with Mason at QB.  I’m glad Murray is back but I don’t consider him an irreplaceable part that success hinged on.  He has the experience and can make all the throws but he still tends to disappear for long stretches or at critical times.  After 3 years as a starter I’ve given up hope that will change with one more year under his belt.  If the O-line can stay healthy I think we’ll be putting up mid 30+ on offense and that should be good enough.

AthensHomerDawg - The offense is loaded  with a lot of talent. Hope we find a way to get that talent on the field and utilize it. Murray is in his "prime". We will score some points . Hope we give the D time to catch it's breath.

Son of AHD - Murray is a general on the field. I just hope the offense doesn’t fall short of the expectations like the defense did. I really think Murray can put up 4,000 yds and 40 TD’s. He sure came close last year. The offensive line beat out my wildest expectations last year, and this year I expect them to get things done like Bamas line.

Smoke Wagon - The sky is the limit.  I am sure, by the time the season gets here, we will have crowned them as the best offense ever, but we all know that last year’s production and this year’s returning starters does not always equate to higher levels of success.  However, I do think the intangibles are there.  I think the O line will have gained a lot of maturity and the skill positions are loaded with talent and experience.  It seems like we have a lot of good kids on offense that are smart and seem to stay out of trouble.  That may not directly result in production, but I feel like there is a correlation to leadership, discipline, and focus that is necessary for an offense to operate on all cylinders.  I think we would have been pretty good even if Murray had not returned.  However, I am very glad that he did and think it will be a significant benefit in the tough September schedule.   I don’t think Murray is the best QB ever, but nothing pisses me off more than to hear people blaming him for any of Georgia’s shortcomings.  He has laid it on the line for the G since he has been here and he is a very very good and productive quarterback and leader.  If he were 2 or 3 inches taller, he could be a GREAT quarterback.  Either way, he will leave as the most productive QB in UGA history and for that I am very appreciative.

Namaman - I think the sky is the limit for Murray.  Hopefully the offensive line will do nothing but improve and keep Murray's jersey clean.  With Gurshall having more time in the weight room and off-season drills, I think they will be even better.  Especially now that Bobo should have some more options.