Friday, May 11, 2012

Rivalries, perspective and the gray area

I've been thinking a lot this week about Blutarsky's post on rivalries - Who are Georgia's rivals? If you recall, we explored the concept of a rivalry as it pertains to the WLOCP pretty extensively last summer. The reasoning was simple: the Dawgs had lost their edge in Jacksonville and one component of the definition of the word rivalry is competition. Mentally Richt's teams (and Donnan, and Goff) weren't going down there ready to compete. And yes, I use the past tense there with bold confidence that, at the very least, future results will follow the new and improved attitude.


Cocktails and jorts aside, I like the Senator's ingredients for what makes up a rivalry: History, Scheduling, the Stakes, Geography and Miscellaneous factors. From that my vote for Florida, Auburn and Tech was born. Sure, that removes Tennessee and South Carolina from the list; two teams that we play against each year for the right to represent the SEC East. But that's where I sit in the discussion. Don't try and get me up. I'm comfortable here.
We OWN this rivalry


What made me a little restless about it is, quite simply...Tech. Ultimately the Tennessee game is more important (higher stakes), but Clean Old Fashioned Hate is a very old tome (historically epic), full of dust and filled with great tales of men kicking engiNerds' asses back and forth along the 60 some odd miles that separate the two schools (geographical promixity). That ultimately factors more heavily for me than divisional proximity. At least in this debate.


Any discussion of rivalry is going to involve one's own personal perspective. For instance, I discount South Carolina simply based on the fact that I weigh history heavily. I'm quite sure someone with a Georgia flag hanging from their front porch in Columbia would argue that point with me. To them, the contest between Georgia and South Carolina could be the most important game of the season. Every season. And while I would empathize with their position (geographically and philosophically), I would fall short of conceding the point. That's my perspective. They have theirs. 


And there are thousands of other perspectives in the Bulldog Nation. It may make for muddy waters or just lively discourse, depending on how you look at it. But everyone goes into a season wanting certain by-products from the win column. In the end though, the most important game is always the next one - which is hopefully the mindsight in the lockerroom and the practice field.


But if that were the only determinant in the discussion I would somehow manage to dismiss geography, high stakes, history and just about everything that factored in miscellaneously and develop an intense hatred for the Buffalo Bulls (the McGarity postulate).

8 comments:

Bernie said...

I live in SC, I've lived here pretty much my whole life. My current least favorite team is the Gamecocks. Why? Because they're competitive, for a change, and their fans absolutely cannot handle success. But a rival? I'm not ready to sign off on that yet. Geographical? Sure, they're right there. But there aren't a whole lot of historic UGA-USC games, and the series history is way lop-sided, even though a Cock fan will tell you not to cite the history because they don't live in the past. Now when it comes to Tech, I could not care less how they do throughout the season (maybe it's because I didn't attend UGA) but when Clean Old Fashioned Hate Week rolls around, I 'm reminded how much of a rival they are. Especially in the rare instance of them actually beating us. Now UF and Auburn, screw them and everyone that looks like 'em!

Bernie said...

Totally agree with putting Auburn, UF and Tech #1A, B and C.  The best thing about having a rivalry with Tech is averaging about 8 wins every 10 games.  As my friend from Ohio (who is unbiased concerning both) stated "a lot of the UGA fans may be obnoxious, but I still prefer them to the sniveling, bed-wetting Tech fans who may be the most pathetically insecure, hysterically inferiority-complex ridden group of humans on the planet".

Bernie said...

Hate hate hate Clemson think b/c my age.  The fans used to throw rocks.  

Bernie said...

"...develop an intense hatred for the Buffalo Bulls." Indeed! They appear to be a 'cupcake'  BD ,but they are next...and that alone makes them a hated rival.Game One of every season is a somehow a very big deal to me.I've seen many Game Ones,perhaps the biggest was in Knoxville in 19 and 80! I,over the years,have developed lots of ill will towards our foes in the swamp lands of Florida in particular.The NATS as well,but honestly BD I hate every team our Dawgs play with a passion as deep as the Mississippi River is wide.Being raised with Dooley as our coach,I look at the next one as being the best team of all-time!So as we count down to game one,I'd have to say that the Mighty team from Buffalo might be the greatest team we'll face all year.Don't forget BD,they come from where Buffalo Wings were invented...that fact alone makes them worthy of respect and since I supervise the production of near 500 lbs. of wings every week with a weak,very weak crew...worthy of  deep hatred. GATA

Bernie said...

I think you hit the nail on the head. Especially when it comes to the week of the Tech game. That's about the only time I really worry with it.

Bernie said...

When I open my own bar, your friend from Ohio's money is no good there. That's perfect.

Bernie said...

From tractors?

Bernie said...

I hate Buffalo. With their snow plows and their parkas. Might as well be in Canadia.