Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The Nkemdiche Brothers

Recruiting Late
First, the expected news. Dillon Lee did not name UGA as his choice last night. He named Bama over FSU and the others. Georgia was late in the game and wasn't really expected to land the in-state prospect, despite the fact that his brother Dallas is currently on Richt's roster.


There's some frustrations over this one, some of which is understood. But it's important to remember that as it stands right now Richt's 2012 class is going to be pretty small, especially compared to last year. Right now I think we're looking at around 8 fewer scholarships to offer. And if there was ever any doubt about how Richt feels about oversigning, he's made it perfectly clear here recently.


I don't like that a local kid I think is going to be a heck of a player in college has decided to cross state lines. But after looking into the situation more, I'm not as bothered by the fact that we were so late to the Dillon Lee party. Some programs serve scholarship offers out of ice cream trucks it seems. Richt and staff are more methodical, laborious. And after this year's class they hauled in, I'm more than willing to cut them some slack over a kid that's ranked 24th at his position nationally.


The Denzel Nkemdiche Situation
This is a great wrapup ($$) by Fletcher Page on the developing story of the Nkemdiche brothers. I frequently disclose that I'm not a huge follower of recruiting. I keep my finger on the pulse, but don't update my notes each and every day like some do. So I'll also freely admit that as recently as a couple weeks ago I had never heard of Denzel. Perhaps I had read the name here or there, but it was his brother Robert that has most recruitniks star struck.


Robert Nkemdiche is in 10th grade. He's 16 years old. I mention that because of what's next. He's nearly six and a half feet tall and weighs 265 pounds. He's a beast and has been on everyone's radar for awhile. The Nkemdiche's are from Grayson, GA. There isn't a Div I school on their radar that is closer than UGA.


What's the key to landing Robert Nkemdiche? His older brother Denzel. 


Denzel has signed to play next year with Miss. Gulf Coast. However, since then he has recently cleared a Div I eligibility hurdle. If everything else plays out just right in the next couple of weeks, he should join an SEC school this summer. He's visiting Ole Miss, he also likes Georgia. Wherever he ends up this Fall is likely where his brother ends up.


A lot more is known about Denzel's academics than his athletics. Because he has only recently qualified, he's not ranked by most recruiting services. But he's a good athlete (5'11", 195lbs) and could likely contribute and compete. 


Hope it's in Athens. Unlike with Lee, I feel pretty good about our chances.

2 comments:

AthensHomerDawg said...

I'm sure they have their reasons for waiting so long....but dang! With all the hoopla about King's grades and waiting until Monday until they are released..... it is surprising how all that died down.

Adam W. said...

I wonder if his grade in my class last year was one of the hurdles. I've known this kid since Jan 2010. Athletically, he's okay. I saw him play a couple games at Grayson. Robert's pretty good, too. I was never honestly blown away by watching either of them play, but with that kind of size, you just never know what they could be. On the bright side, at least I know how to spell their name before most.