Thursday, November 13, 2014

Auburn's defensive breakdowns

I don't know about you, but I haven't seen much of Auburn yet. What I've gleaned from the media this week is that the offense is still very good but the defense is struggling. Sure, I could go pore over the stats - scoring 38 and giving 24 - but I'm a visual learner.

So I found this video with some highlighted breakdowns from the Texas A&M game. Now, it presents itself as a really bad comedy routine initially, but eventually Cubelic gets around to some worthwhile analysis.


What I found particularly interesting was how the Aggies' quarterback kept the Auburn defensive backs off kilter with play action and pump fakes. Now, play fakes haven't been Hutson Mason's area of expertise, but he's improved a lot there since September. Part of that is gaining confidence in his offensive line; another is having more targets running routes.

I can see this being a close game. In fact, I expect it to be. It may even come down to whoever has the ball last. But there's a part of me that thinks Georgia could really come out and give the Tigers sixty minutes of sheer hell. If Bobo establishes the run early (like we expect he will given Gurley's return), then those intermediate and long routes are going to be open.

And that's when things could really get fun.