Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Richt nails the coffin shut.

I've read/seen/heard every opinion there is to have on that first and goal play call; every article, every podcast, every phone call, every text, blog post, bookface regurgitation, tweet and even some message boreds. All of those opinions are right.

None of them are as right as this:
“I just want to make it real clear that I think Mike Bobo is one of the best coordinators in America and one of the best play-callers and I got full faith in the guy. It’s just like I’ve called many games in my career. I’ve never called a perfect game and they’ll be certain situations I’ll go if I had to do it again, I’d do this, that or the other but as head coach after sleeping on it or not even sleeping on it, I kind of wish I called timeout, grabbed that offensive unit and said, ‘Boys, we’re going to knock this thing in right now, let’s go. I feel like that’s what I could have done and if I had to do it again, that’s what I would have done.”
“I knew what the call was, the call was good. The call was something we worked on. It wasn’t like we just called something that didn’t have a chance and all that kind of thing. The biggest thing I’ve called enough plays in my career to know there’s never a perfect game and everyone would have been cheering if we had scored. Third-down, if we had hit the right guy, it might have scored on that and everybody would have cheered and no one would have said, “Aw, that’s a horrible call.’ The calls that are the best are the ones that work. I know that and that’s just part of the business. For someone to think that I had less than full faith in Mike, that was the issue. That’s what I’m talking about. I just want to make that clear to everybody. Appreciate y’all.”
In that one minute or so, the head coach reiterates his faith in his longtime assistant and offensive play caller (which he should), takes responsibility for not stepping in as the head coach (which he should), puts the whole matter in perspective (as only he can), and closes the door on a difficult loss and subsequent three day meltdown.

For which I'm thankful.

RIP Williams-Brice angst.