Tuesday, August 12, 2014

One small step for Coach Friend. One giant step for Coach Richt.

I'm not going to get on my offensive line recruiting under Mark Richt soapbox again. But if we're evaluating true freshmen in advance of future seasons, that sounds like progress.
"It's a legacy position so I have a lot to step up to," he said. "I'm just looking forward to keep watching Boss [David Andrews] and see what he's doing. I'll only get better."
Wynn has earned quite a bit of praise this preseason for his performance so far on the offensive line. The 6-foot-2, 283-pound freshman is consistently earning second-string reps at both left guard and center. Though guard is his natural position, he's taking a liking to the center position — a spot he never played in high school.
Don't get me wrong, I'm much more concerned with patching together a functional offensive line unit for this season (and should have a post up in a day or two as to where that stands). And I recognize that we kind of had Andrews penciled in at center during Ben Jones' last season. But to have a true freshmen consistently push for quality reps just after unpacking his bags is a step in the right direction for me.

How big of a step is it? We'll see.