Thursday, January 16, 2014

Would Belin come back to Athens?

So Pruitt is looking for a new staff, including a linebackers coach or two that can help with special teams as well. We've seen that guy on the sidelines before right?

AHD reminded me of this yesterday - the Carolina Panthers fired Warren Belin last year. He was just retained as Wake Forest's linebackers coach after serving in the same capacity in Winston-Salem last season. Of course, as new Wake Forest coach Dave Clawson points out, Belin is a Demon Deacon at heart:
“There’s a guy who played here, who has great love of Wake Forest,” Clawson said. “I mean, this is his school.
“In the recruiting process you could just get a great sense of his genuineness, not just for the players in the program and the recruits, but for his genuine love of Wake Forest. And Warren was a guy who I was able to connect a lot of dots with. A lot of people I know well know Warren well, and in coaching it’s a small fraternity.
“People I really like and really respect, they told me their feelings about Warren. And I spent time on the road with him in recruiting. I thought if Warren was somewhere out (there), I’d be trying to get him to Wake Forest.”
But how much does Belin love his alma mater? I'm sure Pruitt has plenty of names in mind. I remember seeing Belin at the 2011 GDay a couple months after he left Athens for the NFL. He was there with most of his family, I assume to watch his former players and catch up with friends. Now I wonder if his name might come up in Richt's old rolodex.