Monday, January 13, 2014

New DC search - day one (the elite candidates)

Pat Narduzzi.

He currently makes under $600,000 in B1G country. He received some flirtations for head coaching positions in the last few weeks. He won the Broyles award as the nation's top assistant this past season.

There's definitely no guarantee he'd take a lateral move, even for more money. From what I hear he's pretty happy in East Lansing. But his defense was the best in the nation this season. Just as impressive, in the Rose Bowl, when Stanford lined up and dared the Spartans to stop them, Narduzzi's guys did just that. One of the lasting images for me this bowl season was of Kyler Elsworth (a fifth year senior starting in place of Max Bullough) stuffing the Cardinal on that fourth and one to seal the win. He's a great coach who knows how to get the most out of his players.

So, I would make him my first call. I wouldn't be afraid to pay him what it takes to get him on I-75 South. Soon.

Narduzzi says no? Ok, some others I would have on the shortlist:
  • Randy Shannon. Currently the Arkansas LB coach, former Miami head coach. Knows recruiting down here as well as the defensive side of the ball. Pretty thoroughly on both counts I might add.
  • Kirby Smart. Yes, I dismissed it in the earlier post as absurd. But as far as active defensive coordinators out there, he's a better option than some I've read. He's a hell of a recruiter. And a change might bring out the best in his abilities.