Thursday, November 8, 2012

Swann song: opening chorus

In my opinion, Damian Swann has been just as instrumental in the defense's turnaround as Shawn Williams' words. Well, maybe almost as much.

But my point is that before he really burst on the scene our secondary seemed disinterested in engaging ball carriers and inept at covering would be receivers. We were lucky we didn't play more teams with a quarterback that could take full advantage of the gaping holes back there. Then Swann started making plays and seeing more snaps. Now everyone is rising to the level of the competition back there.

With that said, nice piece here on the sophomore cornerback and his nose for the football.
"Once I got here, I figured out the guys who would be in front of me and what role might open up this year," Swann said. "That's when I decided to get behind Boykin and learn as much as I could, because he had to leave and that job was going to be open. Boykin was the guy I studied a lot and learned almost everything from outside of what I was getting from the coaches."
Swann has done a little bit of everything this season, compiling 39 tackles, four pass deflections, 3.5 tackles for loss, two sacks, two interceptions, two forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries. In the past two weeks alone, he has amassed two sacks, two fumble recoveries, a forced fumble and an interception.
"I've always thought Damian was a pretty good player and that it was just a matter of getting him some experience," defensive coordinator Todd Grantham said. "He plays a little bit where the action is, but he's got good awareness and good instincts, and he has a knack for understanding where the ball is going to go. I think he's done a really good job of coming in and filling in for Boykin after he left, and he's only going to get better."

No comments: