Tuesday, December 13, 2011

BotW: the podcasts

Next item of business, podcasts. I've recently become addicted to podcasts. I love it during football season because Georgia fans have a few now to download and enjoy. But if you commute a little ways or more in the Atlanta area like me, you too are likely sick of the radio offerings. I gave up on sports blab radio long ago and the classic rock stations play good music, but they play it over and over and over again.


Don't wreck our show eh?
Well, I've found a few beer podcasts that are good to intersperse between the Dawg flavored ones. I downloaded this podcatcher app to my phone called Downcast (h/t @EdinGeorgia) and it helps me locate and find both the podcasts I've already subscribed to through iTunes as well as others of interest. I found a few, here's a rundown.
  • Craft Beer Talk - currently in their second season. I'm putting them first here because they actually mentioned me on one of their recent episodes after they tried Dogfish Head's Faithfull Ale and were talking about other brew/album collaboration names. Haven't listened to all of their episodes but sounds like they used to do a radio show in Buffalo that was preempted by Billy Ocean retro hits. Bummer for Buffaloians (?), awesome for us. Cuz now they record out of a basement and can cuss freely. Nick, Ethan and Chris bring a lot of knowledge and don't overload the shows with too many beers. I like that they sound like a couple guys sitting around drinking beer, meaning they get off on tangents just like a normal conversation would.
  • Craft Beer Radio - Jeff and Greg bring a lot of knowledge as well and usually try a few different brews each episode. They do a good bit of teaching which is good. And as they say on their website, "Whether you are new to craft beer or have been drinking it for more than 20 years we have something for you"
  • Beer School - Just as good as the others except that they evidently don't record as often. Their latest episode dates all the way back to September. But the couple episodes I've listened to are good; they're long, but very informative. And of course, the best part about beer school is the homework.
  • Lastly, for you visual learners there's Hop Cast - Brad and Ken talk in front of a camera about beer, do interviews and bring you live footage from beer events. Like the others it centers around the hosts sampling a couple craft beers and discussing the taste, the style and anything else that comes to mind.
Those are a few I've gotten my ears on. If you've got another one in your queue, let us know in the comments so we can check it out as well.

4 comments:

Bernie said...

Perhaps it's time you stepped your game up and brought some "Bernie's Best" to the next tail gate. ;-)
( ps. to Mrs Bernie---> http://www.mrbeer.com/ for another stocking stuffer.)

Bernie said...

damn, bernie....you really like beer! I mean REALLY! You might should examine your relationship to beer....are you sure its not taking over??

Bernie said...

Unfortunately, due mostly to blogging and beer....I think there's only coal in my stocking.

Bernie said...

The first sign that it will have taken over completely will be my a** on the front stoop.  : )