Saturday, May 22, 2010

Trivial Update - You Want Butter With that?


#ThursdaysRTrivial coming up after this PSA: If Southern Miss WINS the CWS, Brett Favre will retire from being a whore for media attention.

#ThursdaysRTrivial episode 45 "Movie Night" It's time for the Twitter Twivia Show that always answers questions from a half hour ago. REPLY back your answer for a chance at a fabulous prize. Name the movie and finish this quote: "97X..BAM! The future of _______!"

I guess I've still got Athens on the brain from my visit last weekend. Walking to the Last Resort last Sunday after church, we traipsed right through the old lobby of the Classic Triple. Of course, that lobby (and the rest of the theater for that matter) is now a parking lot. If seeing the closed, lonely doors of the Georgia Theater isn't enough to bring a tear to my eye...


Anyway, that and I have always enjoyed a good movie. I mentioned some of my exploits from the Triple before. The Friday night visits from the Dawgs, the night both Clempson and Georgia teams came to the same movie at the same time, meeting most of the members of REM, Kim Basinger and Kenny Rogers many times.


Of one my favorite memories was working the box office the night a couple linemen decided to use their brute strength to tilt the bin of plush toys with the misguided claw on it's side. As the cheap furry animals poured through the game's door, my manager rapped his knuckles against the box office door.


"Stop them!" he nearly screamed. I took a brief look at the horizontal machine with the large concrete blocks in its base and the two large behemoths smiling broadly...and safely closed the door.


Minimum wage didn't come with medical back then. 


But Thursday (sometimes Wednesday) was always a special day at the theater. That's when the new releases were delivered in "cans" and had to be "built". This wasn't one of my duties at the Triple, but when I went to LaGrange College my first year I found a theater nearby where I had the chance to build my first.


That's right...I'm responsible for Dustin Hoffman's Academy Award. Had I not put that movie together...he'd still be Tootsie to everyone across Troup County.


And the nominees are:


@allyugadawg Rain Man, rock n' roll It's a 1949 Buick Roadmaster. Straight 8. Fireball 8. Only 8,985 production models. Dad lets me drive slow on the driveway. But not on Monday, definitely not on Monday.


@Stuff_of_Legend - I buy my underwear at KMart in Cincinatti.. #TMI 'Course it's 10 minutes to Wapner. 


@alanashley - rock n' roll. Maple syrup is supposed to be on the table before the pancakes. 


@MikeInValdosta - rock n roll #ThursdaysRTriviaOf course I don't have my underwear. I'm definitely not wearing my underwear.


then...@MikeInValdosta - rainman #Google #ThursdaysRTrivial 'Course I got Jeopardy! at five o'clock. I watch Jeopardy!


then again...@MikeInValdosta - Rainman probably invented Google Are you taking any prescription medication?


And the winner is....Ally! Enjoy the lifelong complimentary Qantas tickets. The rest of you...enjoy the ice cold Mott's. And I hope the Hanes 32s fit. If not, leave em on the highway.

2 comments:

AthensHomerDawg said...

And don't forget the Palace around the corner. I had a friend Gavin who ran the projector at Classic. So I got to see some movies ;-). I loved the black and white posters of former Georgia players. Last Resort was the place to hear good music before it became that camera shop.......I feel ya bro!

Bernie said...

I was laying some mostly unknown knowledge about the Last Resort on my wife as we walked. And those black and white pics helped me pass a LOT of time behind that concession stand back in the mid 80s. Zeke Bratkowski had a gleam in his eye like no other.

Athens = Awesome!