Thursday, January 28, 2010

Countdown to Signing Day…6

.
Six days left. Gonna try to have as much recruiting stuff up as possible the next few days and will be blogging live from Butts-Mehre a week from today. But, for today…thought we’d look at where we stand going into the last week. Namely, who’s committed.

And by committed I mean in the new age D-1 prospect way, of course.

Defensive Commits

Baker, Demetre
OLB
6’0”
200
Orange Park (FL)
Burrows, Brandon
DE
6’3”
235
Walton
Deas, Marc
S
6’0”
180
Osceola (FL)
Rogers, Deon
OLB
6’2”
190
Treasure Coast (FL)
Fields, Jalen
DE
6’5”
251
Dalton
Hamilton, Jakar *
S
6’1”
198
Georgia Military
Morant, Dexter
DE
6’6”
230
Manning (SC)
Ogletree, Alec
S
6’3”
212
Newnan
Ogletree, Zander
MLB
5’9”
202
Newnan
Owens, Derek
CB
6’1”
175
Andrew Jackson (FL)
Robey, Nickell
CB
5’7”
165
Frostproof (FL)
Smith, Garrison
DT
6’3”
255
Douglass
Stripling, TJ
DE
6’6”
215
SW Dekalb

Offensive Commits

Benedict, Brent
OL
6’6”
290
The Bolles School (FL)
Bennett, Michael
WR
6’3”
185
Alpharetta
Houston, Kholton *
OL
6’5”
270
Buford
Malcome, Ken
RB
6’0”
215
SW Dekalb
Mason, Hutson
QB
6’3”
200
Lassiter
Rogers, Da’Rick
WR
6’2”
197
Calhoun
*early enrollees

Some somewhat random defensive thoughts:
  • Definitely a defensive heavy lineup, but we lost more on that side of the ball as well.
  • I like the number of front seven commits we have, 7 of 19 so far. Eight of 19 if you include Alec Ogletree, who should eventually see some time that close to the line of scrimmage. Zander Ogletree
  • In fact, Alec seems the type of player that will create his own position…I hope.
  • Speaking of the Ogletrees, it seems Zander will get his first look at FB.
  • With a new coaching eager to use abled bodies, having some young aggressive talent will be a good thing.
  • Given the change in base scheme, DEs and OLBs are as interchangeable as brands of alkaline batteries.
  • The secondary commits don’t jump out at you, other than Ogletree of course.
  • Robey has been in the news a lot. I think it comes down to West Va and UGA, but he’s set to ride in KiffyBaby’s limo this weekend.
  • If he drops us, not a big loss (pun intended). Here’s what Mackie did, playing off of a PWD tweet.
Some somewhat random offensive thoughts:
  • Lots of people would like to see more linemen, and I usually number myself among them. But (correct me if I’m wrong)…we only lost Vance from last season’s roster.
  • And the two we have in Houston and Benedict will be great players. Both are smart and hardnosed.
  • Da’Rick becomes an important signee. If he chooses Rocky Flop over Athens in the final hour, this class drops.
  • And while dropping in the much too publicized recruiting rankings is something that I don’t concern myself with…Rogers would be an immediate playmaker at receiver.
  • I watched Malcome play once this year and was impressed. Losing Mack Brown to gayturdsville and Lattimore to whoever the hell he chooses doesn’t bother me so much.
Like I always say, if they don’t wanna be a Dawg…I don’t want em ‘tween the hedges.

What are your thoughts?

2 comments:

dean said...

I wouldn't mind getting one more OL-men. If my memory serves (and it doesn't very much anymore) didn't Benedict blow out one of his knees? He may turn out to be a productive player but I'd feel a little bit better if we got another one in case the knee doesn't heal properly. Other than that I think we're addressing our needs with quality players.

I don't put a lot stock in the recruiting rankings but it's crazy to have a top 5 class but have the 3rd best class in the conference. Such is life in the SEC.

Sports Dawg said...

Yea, at Georgia we've learned over the past several years we can't recruit too many OLs. How many kids can we sign this year anyway?