Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Hungry? Let's Grab Some Lunch


Recently the hardest working man on the Georgia Dawgs' beat told us of a new business opening in Athens: a place called Rita's Water Ice. As an Athens native and a UGA alum, it got me thinking (as dangerous as that has proven to be) about eateries around campus...
A hmmm....turned into an uhmmmm!.

An empty stomach after a hard day of frisbee on the quad and playing pool at Tate is a bad combination for a college student. Let's take a trip up Baxter and grab some Guthrie's!

My doctor likes to tell me that I'm still carrying some of that Guthrie's special sauce in my arteries and that all those hot wings from Steve's have taken their toll on my HdL, ....or is it LdL.What the hell! It's probably both.

But I just smile, grab that cold metal disc he's placed on my chest and holler into it, "What can I say Doc? Me likes me some Taco Stand!"

So far we've lent our ears to the southwest corner of Sanford and sobered up in some memories of big wins on campus. Today let's grab a handful of Herbie's Balls and talk about our favorite "meals" around campus.

I don't want to restrict you reader to just food on campus. Afterall, I worked a decade one year inside Bolton. I know how they made that chocolate pudding. So imagine a large triangle from South Milledge all the way up to Prince (grab me an order of onion rings, a chili dog and a frosted orange on your way by the V) and then head over to the East Side and cop a squat at Mama Sid's for a slice.

Pass the bleu cheese and tell me what Athens eatery is clogging your vessels?


10 comments:

MikeInValdosta said...

Guthries rocks. The only thing lovely about that village on the plains is that they have a Guthries.

My years were 86 -90, all of 90 :-)Always loved Steverino's and Sons of Italy. Sonny's BBQ on all you can eat night armed with ziplock baggies for some take out on the sly. And would occasionally venture out to Charlie Williams Pinecrest Lodge for some all you can eat. The Grill for a burger and shake. There was a BBQ shack on the old Epps Bridge road, can't remember the name but it was some good stuff. But, the meal that will always remind my of college is Ramen noodles with a can of cheap chicken and an egg cooked on an illegal hot plate.

namaman said...

There are several favs for me actually...Maybe not necessarily for the food as the memories. Still remember making the walk across Baxter I believe to head to the China Boat. You got lots of food for a little $$ - the perfect combo. They were even open during that big snow storm back whenever that was...

Of course there was the all you can eat (or cheap wing nites) at T-bones (with the Killians mugs - still need to thank the one whose name cannot be spoken for finishing that drunken rambling of a term paper for me that St. Patrick's Day night...GLORY!!), Fuddruckers - where the hot wings were green with all of the jalepenos in them!) and the dime wings that summer at El Azteca with the Korean routinely downing about 100 wings before most of us could finish 20.

I can't remember the name of it at the moment, but that BBQ place just down the hill from the Varsity was off the chain...just be sure you weren't very far away from "home" when you were finished downing all that smoked goodness!

Finally, Peppinos...Galaga, downing pitchers, cheap beer, and peanut butter thighs...Enough said!

Bernie said...

That BBQ place isn't there anymore, but I know the one you're talking about. Good stuff. And those Killian mugs at T-Bones led to a very expensive game of pool for me at Tate later that night. But I think Joe cheated.

I worked downtown throughout HS and most of college - many nights it came down to Sons or Rocky's for a slice. And that description of your tricked out ramen noodles is reminding me it's time for lunch. Although a microwave is NO replacement for the hot plate!

Fred said...

You guys are thinking about Spring House BBQ.

Bernie said...

Nice catch Fred.

Spring House - "You want it sliced or chopped?"

Good eats.

Streit said...

The sad thing is, most of those places you mentioned are now gone. Guthrie's - gone. Steve's - Gone. Son's - moved. Compadres down town - gone. At least the Loco's near the dorms is still there.

I ate at the Guthrie's the afternoon of the night which it burned down. I was living in a fraternity house behind it and we went and watched that place burn. To this day, we are pretty sure the owner's burned it down and collected the insurance money.

Bernie said...

I know someone that worked at Guthrie's at the time and that is the rumor. Now you can find Guthrie's in other less desirable locations....surrounded by urranjah.

And it is sad those places are no longer there. Of course, from where I live now, I'm closer to the new Steve's location in Duluth. But the original is always best.

namaman said...

Ahhh...Spring House...Good work Fred! Although I am little disappointed I didn't get a comment on the PB thighs...Sad...

Bernie said...

Don't be sad namaman. I'll buy you a pitcher next week. I guess I was just too amazed that Fred caught something. If only he woulda done that more on the intramural fields.... ; )

Anonymous said...

MijHiz [url=http://chaneljponline.org/]シャネル 財布[/url] BbsZoh http://chaneljponline.org/ FxtEbu [url=http://www.coachjpsales.net/]コーチ バッグ アウトレット[/url] SxjRrl http://www.coachjpsales.net/ YynPld [url=http://pradasjapan.net/]プラダ アウトレット[/url] GehNax http://pradasjapan.net/ KweSuk [url=http://coachonsales.org/]コーチ 財布[/url] ZmoHdp http://coachonsales.org/