Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Mine Eyes Have Seen the Glory...


Last week's discussion topic on favorite Kool-Aid laced game memories was such a hit, the BDB promotions department has decided to renew for a few more episodes.

From circumventing the Arch as an undergrad to the dulcet sounds of Big Machine in Red and Black as we trample along the railroad track on gameday, there are quite a few traditions we soak ourselves into as Dawg fans.

Personally, this is a close-up of my favorite:


Great goodness...chill bumps. Katy Wilson of Lawrenceville ladies and gents. Kudos to that young lady from my own neck of the woods. Well done!

Now, I've also been known to harass vehicles that pass near the tailgate with one of those House Divided license plates...Are you kiddin?!? Pick a Side!! But that's more of a gameday hobby. 

There are numerous traditions that get me ready for kickoff, but by the time I hear that trumpet in the Southwest corner....my heart is pumping hard enough to produce a place kick that would rival Rex Robinson's in Lexington, or a homerun that would measure up to Beckham's in Omaha, or perhaps even the fortitude to strap on a hobnail boot. 

At away games it's always hearing the band play Glory, Glory in an opposing stadium that stirs the emotions deep. There's just something about the Battlehymn

So it's no wonder that the solo that leads into the video montage is my favorite tradition. What's yours? Is it one of the many gameday rituals we buy into for the good of our team? Do your legs dangle awkwardly as you hang from the rope underneath the Chapel bell? Or is it something as mundane as taking a nap on North Campus while you wait on the Orbit bus? 

Yawn! Phone lines are open Dawg fans. Bring it if ya got it...

6 comments:

MikeInValdosta said...

It gets me every time!

There are so many, many traditions and happenings surrounding Bulldawg football that they are hard to recollect, let alone list. A big home game on a Saturday night, when you leave the youngsters at home and bring your rowdiest buddies for the extra lubrication the crowd will be applying is always an experience. For me, however, there is something about the road games, planting the Bulldawg Nation flag in enemy soil. After a hard fought victory, watching the players lead the band in front of an all but empty, except for those in red and black, stadium. Frr that, I am most grateful to Coach Richt and his mastery our our opponents home turf.

Bernie said...

CMR has spoiled us on the road...very true. Makes that somewhat impromptu celebration in front of the band after the game a little sweeter.

Mackie said...

This is probably more on the quirky end of "traditions", but there is nothing I love more than sitting outside the Tate Center and watch the drunk football fans hollering at the "God Hates Drunkards/Fags/Sinners" people.

...am I alone in this?

MikeInValdosta said...

First, I wan not drunk, just buzzed. Second, I was not hollering, they were just having a hard time hearing me so I raised my voice;-}

Mackie said...

Sorry Mike, my bad. I was definitely drunk and hollering, I mistook you for doing the same.

Anonymous said...

This is pretty encompassing but I just love the camraderie of all the tailgaters on North Campus. We're all up there for a singular purpose (to cheer the Dawgs to victory). Frankly, the buildup to games is almost as good as the games sometimes. I ran the tailgates my senior year for my fraternity and I've never met so many people from all over the great state of Georgia that love the Bulldogs. To me, the tailgating up on North Campus from 7AM til an hour before kickoff have been some of the best times of my life and some of the most memorable times of my life (at least the ones I remember).