Wednesday, October 9, 2024

National landscape, week six. The Tide falls.

For the second week in a row, the Alabama Crimson Tide is the lead story, and the biggest cause for the poll's shuffle. Vandy held the Tide down, inspiring the Fighting Sam Pittmans to take down the Vols.

So here we go:


  1. Texas (bye)
  2. Oregon (bye)
  3. BYU (bye)
  4. Clemson (bye)
  5. Ohio State (hosts)
  6. Georgia (hosts)
  7. Alabama (hosts)
  8. Texas Tech (hosts)
  9. Penn State
  10. Ole Miss
  11. Notre Dame
  12. Boise State
Michigan and Tennessee fall out of this week's poll after losses to Washington and Arkansas respectively. In their place I've moved Ole Miss back in, as well as Notre Dame.

It's not that I'm sold that both of those teams will make it in the end, but I couldn't find another team to go in ahead of them. Miami's gonna get caught paying off referees eventually, so I couldn't put a 2nd ACC team in. 

In the Big 10, Oregon hosts Ohio State this weekend. I doubt I drop the loser out next week. They'll probably just swap spots. Penn State impresses a little more each week and they travel to USC this weekend.

And if Ole Miss survives a night game in Baton Rouge, they'll have proven me right. For this week at least.

As for the SEC, I think in the end the committee will likely (at least try to) keep the conference at three teams. I just can't put a Miami ahead of Ole Miss. Who else is worthy? Iowa State? I just can't see it.

I do see a chance for Utah to move back into the picture. The Utes host both BYU and Iowa State next month.

So a lot to be settled in the next couple months. And it starts this weekend!

No comments: