Monday, February 12, 2024

Dear Senator, thanks and rest in peace

It was Saturday morning before I realized Senator Blutarsky had passed away. In the weeks since he wrote about being sick, like many of you I'm sure, I've been checking Get The Picture for more than updates on college football's comings and goings.

When I joined the Dawg Blog roll in 2008 there was Paul Westerdawg's crew at Georgia Sports Blog, there was Dawg Sports, Groo's DawgsOnline, David Hale's Bulldog BlogThe Grits Tree, Bubba 'n Earl, Bulldawg In Exile, a kid named Mackie over at Blogging Pantsless.

And fittingly, it was Mackie who messaged me Saturday morning to check if I'd heard. I quickly clicked my GTP bookmark and there were the words on my phone. The good Senator had passed away Thursday.

Over the weekend I started this post a few times. I didn't know Michael personally (although I'm still honored he graced my comment section that time Coach Richt admitted he didn't read Blutarsky's blog either), but wanted to share some thoughts of appreciation.  Others have offered their words as consolation and remembrance. Weiszer had interviewed him before, and Tony knew him professionally as well as from UGA fandom

Senator Blutarsky's iconic Get the Picture banner

More broadly, his daily readers have long ago formed a community, one that gathered daily to not only discuss college football but also read Brochstein's words, his explanations, his passion. When I needed to better understand the comings and goings of the latest NCAA development, I didn't got to ESPN or Sports Illustrated. I went to Get The Picture. Blutarsky was genuine, loyal, intelligent, passionate. He was prolific! Who else could nudge the ball rolling and see it form out as The Montana Project? He created a reasonable and accurate poll in The Mumme Poll. He put together a lexicon of common terms we use around Georgia football.

Anytime I got a link from his illustrious space to my little corner spot here, I was proud to have earned the Senator's attention. Going forward, I'll miss his words, guidance, explanations, Musical Palate, humor, Monday morning viewpoints...

For years, there's been such comfort in having Michael's experience blended with his history and knowledge of Georgia football. He made the blogosphere a much better place. And for that I am deeply grateful.

No comments: