Monday, February 24, 2014

Woerner's induction

Busy weekend, so I'm late with my own accolades. But suffice it to say I grew up pretending to be this guy in my own backyard. I heard his name on the radio a lot thanks to the greatest voice in Georgia Bulldogs history. And I'm as proud to honor him with the banner at the top as I am to remind my IPTAYing dad just how big of a Tiger killer #19 was.
Former University of Georgia All-America defensive back Scott Woerner was inducted into the State of Georgia Sports Hall of Fame Saturday night in Macon at the organizations annual induction banquet held at the City Auditorium.....
In 1980, he almost singlehandedly led Georgia to victory over Clemson in a hard-fought 20-16 win in Sanford Stadium. Sports Illustrated named his as the nation's Defensive Player of the Week following his performance which included a 67-yard punt return for a touchdown in the game's early minutes. He followed later in the first half with a 98-yard interception return to the Clemson two-yard-line which stopped a Tiger scoring threat and also set up a Buck Belue 1-yard run giving the Bulldogs a 14-10 halftime lead.
By season's end, Woerner had intercepted five passes and made 47 tackles in helping lead Georgia to an undefeated, untied season and the consensus 1980 national championship. In the Sugar Bowl win over Notre Dame, Woerner capped his career with a key end zone breakup and an interception to seal the victory.
For my money, when it comes to defensive backs, there's Woerner and then Champ and Hoage. Everyone else is just trying to rise to the top.

Congrats Mr. Woerner! Hope your students give you a fistbump for me. Go Dawgs!