Tuesday, February 11, 2014

For Spurrier, "age is just a number"

No, I don't like the guy either. He's an asshole. But the older I get the more I understand his brutal honesty and the more I appreciate his quick wit. As much as my stomach will allow.

When I first started this blogging thing, I thought the man was on his last coaching leg. He'd failed in the NFL and seemed to be grasping at straws on the recruiting trail for Sakerlina. I chided him. We all did, because it was fun after all those years of being at the butt end of his quips.

But Spurrier will be 69 in a couple months and appears to be going nowhere closer towards retirement.
“That’s just other coaches guessing,” Spurrier said. “I will tell you what is neat. You look around at college basketball now, and there’s Jimmy Boeheim, who is almost 70 years old. He has got the only undefeated team in the country. Larry Brown is at SMU. He’s 73, and I think they’re a top 10 team. Mike Krzyzewski is in his upper 60s and so forth. Coaches don’t get fired for being older coaches. They get fired for not winning. That’s why there’s not a bunch of old coaches out there because, along the way, almost everybody gets fired. That’s just the way it is.
“Physically and hopefully mentally, I’m the same as I was 20 years ago. I can still call the plays and all of that. I probably do more as a head coach than 90-percent of the guys out there, as far as game day and calling the plays. There are not many head coaches who call the plays anymore. So really, age is just a number.
“It all comes down if you are winning and losing, if you’re recruiting well, and if your program is on the upbeat and it’s positive. That’s what we all shoot for and obviously it’s not that easy to do.
“But the age of a coach really has nothing to do with it.”
Say what you will about the sound of his voice or the sharpness of his words, but he's doing well at something he loves doing.

And I hate him for it.