Thursday, September 19, 2013

No more "maybe" in Mayes

It's been a long road for Chris Mayes to get on the field for Georgia. Saturday against North Texas it'll finally end. Between a stint at Mississippi Gulf Coast, redshirting last season, enrolling at UGA early to participate in spring ball, and then a concussion last month, no one's more ready than the Griffin GA native.
“It set me back a while,” Mayes said. “I couldn’t work out for weeks. I couldn’t do any conditioning. I was frustrated about that. It took me a while to get back into playing shape. A lost technique and stuff, but I’ve gained it back. … I feel like I’m 100 percent right now. I’m doing well in practice, taking a couple of reps and playing real well right now.”
...
“I feel like I’m more of a run-stopper,” Mayes said. “I can clog up lanes. I try to make plays. If you’re trying to run the ball, I don’t like to allow that.”
I certainly like the sound of that.