Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Rewinding back to Gurley and Marshall, the newcomers

What a difference a year makes right?

Seeing that video of JJ Green yesterday lead me to go back and look at some old posts from last August. In turn I began reminiscing about what it felt like a year ago with all the question marks at running back. Quite the different perspective compared to now with a wealth of talent there. Gurley and Marshall have added a calm to the storm that was seated behind Murray (and others) for so long. They've given us a steady diet of headlines without the messy police blotter. A very welcome change.

So I thought I would share some things I dug up from last August. My intention is to use what I found on Gurley and Marshall to somewhat objectify how we might guess who this year's up and comer might be. You know, see where some directed and concise reflection might take us before we just assume Tray Matthews.
  • "They told me to be ready. It was depending on me, how I picked up the system and came in there, if I would be redshirted." - Todd Gurley. I think Knowshon just shivered at the memory of being a scout team tailback.
  • "It's sad that Isaiah left. I wish he could be here, but I just kept doing what I was doing and I picked up the system pretty good." - Todd Gurley
  • "If they're in there a lot, it's probably because they're doing good. It's a good sign. I'm not afraid to play them. We're definitely going to play them a bunch." - Coach Richt
  • "I know when you looked at his film and you went and watched him play, it was like, 'Man, this is one of the best dudes out there this year.' " - Coach McClendon on recruiting Gurley
  • Georgia coach Mark Richt tried to downplay the performance of tailback Todd Gurley in Wednesday’s scrimmage. The freshman from Tarboro, N.C, led the Bulldogs in rushing for the second time in as many scrimmages this preseason. (via AJC)  Easy to remember how starved we were for someone to perform well at tailback.
  • Special. When I’m standing on the sideline and watching, all I can say is, ‘Wow!’ I don’t want to say too much, but when I saw that [number] 3 running down through there today, I was like, ‘that’s going to be a Trent Richardson right there.’ That’s what I can say. Big and fast, that’s all I can see.” - Shawn Williams.
  • "It gets me very excited whenever you see a running back who can create plays like that when there’s really nothing there.” - Chris Conley with some foreshadowing.
  • So it was nice to see that for the offense. Not for the defense.” - Coach Richt. More foreshadowing.
  • “I’ve just never been one to get in trouble. Our parents didn’t allow it. So I learned at an early age getting in trouble wasn’t an option.” - Keith Marshall
  • "And nowadays you don’t want to carry the load yourself. You want two or three running backs you could share with.” - Todd Gurley on the position's depth


Read more here: hton.com/2012/08/10/2132752/keith-marshall-and-todd-gurley.html#storylink=cpy