Friday, July 12, 2013

Friday Misery - FIFTY days to smell Howard's crotch

It happens once a summer. And no, I'm not talking about the neighborhood pool closing because some Baby Momma let her little turdling in the pool with a diaper full of completely processed strained peas and carrots. Because that happens three times each summer. Minimum. But at least her phone battery has never died while updating BookFace with selfies of her in her WalMart shades and a hat that could put Rhode Island in a full solar eclipse.

Thank God for that!

No, I'm talking about that moment when you get the feeling that college football is actually, certainly and irrevocably close. It's near. Not at the top of the driveway, but motoring around in an actual vicinity. You can smell it, taste it and feel it. You might even be able to hear it. But don't try and show off and say you can see it, because that's bullshit. We all know it.
Hey Coach Ford...that's not a tiger.

Yes, I'm close enough now that I can smell the Dabo infused false bravado from the IPTAYers. It's a mixed chorus of the following:
  • WE BEAT LSSSSUU!
  • I just saw Sammy Wakkins y'all! At the Bi-Lo!
  • Cain't believe it was one of our own what broke that rock. One of our OWN Cletus!!
  • I hate Georgia! They're south a here right?
  • WE BEEEEAT LSSSSSUUUU!!
  • We don stand no chance of beating Georgia. I'd bet my tractor on it.
  • Shuddup y'all. It's a Danny Ford F-150 commercial....
I love em like family, honestly. But they wear orange and there's some things I just can't understand. But more on that in the coming fifty days.

How do we pass the time you ask? Well, you can start by ordering T Kyle King's new book about the series between Georgia and Clemson, Fighting like Cats and Dogs. I just printed off my form in less time than it took Butler's kick to travel the 60 yards to paydirt. This is a series that many newcomers don't understand to its full depth. These two teams have seen many great games. Including what may be one of the greatest games in the history of college football. I have it on good authority that this book is great for us old timers that have seen a fight or two at Sanford as well as Death Valley. But it's even better for younger fans that may need a few lessons to catch up before August 31st.

That last link will take you to a write up I did on the 1984 contest between the Dawgs and Tigers. It even includes a picture (courtesy of Ron...GATA!) of a somewhat heated exchange between Danny Ford and Vince Dooley as they met at midfield. I'll be adding plenty more about this series in the coming days. But in the mean time, here's some more links.

Go Dawgs y'all!