Monday, May 6, 2013

Rambo moving forward

Evan Vucci/AP
Rambo eyes the ball as a Redskin. (Evan Vucci/AP)
Whatever demons were hindering him during his career at Georgia (concussion, suspensions, the loss of his son) are behind All-SEC safety Bacarri Rambo now. He was drafted by the Redskins in the sixth round and participated in their rookie camp over the weekend.
“All that’s behind me,” Rambo said Sunday when the Redskins concluded their three-day rookie minicamp. “I’ve moved on from that. It helped me grow (into) the person I am today. I’m just a regular, cool guy. I feel like I built my trust up. I know I still got things I need to improve on. Just to show them, ‘Hey he’s not that guy. He grew from that.’”
Redskins coach Mike Shanahan said Rambo aced a test to measure prospects’ dedication and work ethic. That and background checks and talks with the coaches at Georgia, including former Redskins linebackers coach Kirk Olivadotti, convinced them that Rambo was worth a flyer in the sixth. That’s the same round Shanahan drafted 1998 MVP Terrell Davis for Denver out of Georgia in 1995 and record-setting running back Alfred Morris for Washington a year ago.
“I know Coach Olivadotti had something to do with it, told ’em what kind of player I was and about my true character,” Rambo said.
There's a starting spot available in the Washington secondary with Tanard Jackson out indefinitely for failed drug tests. Rambo will compete with fellow rookie Phillip Thomas out of Fresno State, who the Redskins took in the fourth round.