Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Uncle Verne and his swagger walk into a bar....

The entire interview by Deitsch is good. Lundquist even gives proper credit to Spencer Hall and EDSBS for coining the moniker Uncle Verne. So yes, the interview shows a light-hearted and downright cogent CBS giant among announcers.

But this...this is just "stone cold Verne".
You met your wife Nancy in 1980 and you were married in 1982. How did you two meet?
We met in a bar -- and I hasten to add it was an upscale bar in Dallas. It was a place called Arthur's. I walked in after I did the 10 o'clock news (at WFAA-TV in Dallas) and I just didn't want to go home. Nancy and her date were at the bar and her date recognized me from local television and invited me over to have a drink. He introduced me to his date and her name was Nancy Miller. It was their first date, a blind date. So we sat and chatted and her date, Raymond Willie, said to me, "Listen, I know you are single. I'm going to fix you up with a friend of mind and we can all go to dinner." He looked at Nancy and asked her, "What are you doing Thursday night?" She said, "Nothing." He said, "Good, you'll be my date and we'll fix Verne up with this schoolteacher friend of mine and we'll go to dinner." Meanwhile, I'm looking at Nancy thinking she is the prettiest thing I have ever seen in my life. So, Raymond finally left to take care of his business and I asked Nancy, "So, how involved are you with Raymond? She said, "Oh, this is our first date and it's a blind date." So I said, "Well forget what he is talking about on Thursday night. What are you doing on Saturday night?" She said, "I think I am doing whatever you are doing."
Baller move. And didn't need one single Tim Tebow reference.