Friday, March 15, 2013

Perno's pissed as Aggies await

Although he's never been one to shy away from calling out his own players, Coach Perno seems agitated even earlier this season than usual.
“It’s killing me,” Perno said. “I thought we had the leadership to forge through it. I thought we learned a lot on Sunday (in an 11-8 loss to Liberty). We didn’t match Liberty’s urgency and we did the same thing today. It just didn’t seem like it was as big a game as it was. You’ve got a chance to get over .500. We haven’t been over .500 since a month ago. Since that Friday night when we were 1-0. I don’t know. The hunger and the urgency for greatness isn’t in that dugout right now...They knew how I thought how big the game was. I let them wear the black jerseys. I hate the back jerseys. I think they’re ugly. That’s what they wanted and we didn’t respond and it’s disappointing.”
The Diamond Dawgs open up SEC play today in College Station and are still answering questions that should've been answered before the season started. But there are some bright spots. The brightest of which may be freshman pitcher Sean McLaughlin, who is now firmly entrenched as the Friday starter with a 3-0 record and a 1.80 ERA. McLaughlin platoons in right field and has appeared in 11 games batting .208 with three RBIs.

Georgia will once again go with McLaughlin, Patrick Boling and Luke Crumley as the starters against Texas A&M. First pitch this evening is at 7:35 ET. The Aggies are 11-7 on the season.