Friday, March 22, 2013

About that 40 time Jarvis...

So at Pro Day yesterday Jarvis had an awkward 40 yard dash. The official time was a 4.92. Here's how he described it:
“I can’t even tell you what happened. I really think I missed a step like I got outside my steps and missed a step. I don’t know if I overstepped or understepped but it felt weird.”
Also, here's Mike Mayock's take:
“I don’t see a 4.9 guy on tape. I think it is a little bit of a red flag and teams have to go back and teams have to take another look at the tape because 4.9, let’s face it, Manti Te’o got killed for running 4.8 at the combine. I didn’t expect to see 4.9. I thought he looked pretty good in the drill work, though. I think he’s explosive in short areas. I think you’ve got to look at it from a scheme perspective, too. The 3-4 teams are going to like him as an edge rusher and the 4-3 teams are going to have to be ones to say `OK, do we think he can be a Sam linebacker at 4.9.’ I think you go back to the tape and you decide what kind of a football player. A 4.9 scares me a little bit but some guys play faster than they time.” 
Each of the 32 teams in the NFL have their own braintrust. If they put more faith in this 40 time than the body of work they've seen on tape then they'll probably move Jarvis down on their own board.

Did yesterday hurt Jarvis? Yes, but the damage is minimal. He wasn't going to be a top five pick anyway and I think he's answered the one big question teams had for him - are you healthy? That was most important.

So I still see him as early as 6th to the Browns and as late as 15th to the Saints. Yesterday didn't change that.