Friday, January 18, 2013

Lasting images from the 2012 season

Feel free to throw yours in the comments....

Upon reflecting the last few weeks on what exactly I will take away from the 2012 college football season, I think I've settled on two images. (Please note: any images of players' girlfriends are exempt from this post due to 1) the creep factor and 2) copyright infringement laws are tricky for the dead fake ones)

The first image will forever be ingrained on my frontal lobe. There is no amount of therapy and no lobotomy large enough to take it off. The look of sheer and utter disappointment as the players watched the last few seconds drain on their title hopes, mere feet from destiny is misery in its rawest form. For that CFB '12...thank you so much. I hate you but I love you.

The second image is an actual one. And by actual I mean you can find it with your own eyes without having to mentally picture crazy Alabama fans hooting and hollering in your ear outside a rural WalMart near Montgomery. I remember seeing this moment as a highlight on a Sunday morning after it happened and rewinding and rewatching it over and over again with the wife. I give thanks for all Marines and servicemen and women everyday. But this Marine can have the corner piece of my birthday cake for the rest of my days.


I love that he's standing up for his team. I love that he's protecting his team's endzone from any ounce of malfeasance and poor sportsmanship. I love that his standard issue enlisted dress blues cap wobbles. And I especially love that he taught that whippersnapper a lesson after which Goodwin backed down like a puppy who has had his snout whacked with a rolled up newspaper. 

Semper Fi young man! Oorah!