Friday, February 10, 2012

Sanders comes clean

Chris Sanders speaks with Fletcher Page about his dismissal as well as his regret at having to move forward. It sheds some light on the difference between his dismissal as opposed to those of his former teammates Nick Marshall and Sanford Seay.
“Coach Richt was hurt, but he told me that things can get better,” Sanders said of being dismissed.
Sanders would not comment on the exact reason why he was let go – saying that the conversation was between him and Richt alone – but indicated that the details of his situation were different than that of Sanford Seay and Nick Marshall. Dawg Post reported last week that Seay and Marshall were caught attempting to steal money from teammates.
“Of course Coach Richt was disappointed,” Sanders said of his infraction. “He asked me what happened, and I explained to him what happened. Of course he felt bad, and I felt bad. But I was honest with him.”
That honesty may be the reason Sanders has a chance to come back to Athens one day soon – at least if history is any guide. He plans on enrolling at GMC for the quarter that begins in March and to play football there in the fall.
“I am going to have to go through GMC for six months,” he said.
After that?
The former Bulldog didn’t say that he would be back in Athens for sure, but was apologetic to his family and Georgia fans – saying that he had embarrassed himself and Georgia.
Sanders didn’t specifically say Richt would have him back at Georgia, but all indications are that the former Tucker player would like to return to the Bulldogs. And while that remains to be seen, Sanders wouldn’t be the first former Georgia player to wind up in Milledgeville with an eye on returning to the program a year later. The most notable success was Odell Thurman, who used his sidetrack to GMC as a springboard to a very successful two years afterwards in Athens. But other former Dawgs have not made it back to Athens after winding up at GMC.
Sanders is hopeful that he can make the most of this turn in his career – a position he admits he got himself into.
“I felt bad because I let a lot of people who have supported me and loved me down. I let myself down, too,” he admitted. “This is the first time I have gotten in trouble at Georgia. A lot of folks are going to look at me like I am a bad kid – I am not a bad kid. But I am going to move forward and learn from my mistakes.”

3 comments:

Bernie said...

Learn from it, kid.  Be the person you expect to be and you'll do fine....  Good luck.
 

Bernie said...

I too echo the 12th man. Hope the young sanders has learned a value lesson in life and can come back to uga!!!! Good luck to this young man and I for one will be praying for him.

Bernie said...

good for him. sounds like he's taking his lumps properly