Thursday, September 22, 2011

Rebels without a clue

In case you haven't checked the pulse over in Oxford, folks...it's bad. Real bad. Georgia fans are riding a wave of unparalleled excitement compared to to our friends at Ole Miss. Their collective toddys ain't so hotty.


Let me preface the remainder of this post by typing I have no idea what's going to happen Saturday night afternoon late morning. That being said, Ole Miss is a bad team. And I'm not talking step on your quarterback's head after sacking him for a 10 yard loss bad. I'm talking poor, not good...crappy.


They sport the 110th ranked offense in college football. That's good enough to be ahead of teams like Miami of Ohio and Kent State, but not quite as good as Louisiana-Lafayette or North Texas. They're in such disarray that their president and AD Pete Boone has already thrown ol' Nutt under the bus for having a team that lacked "passion" and is currently doubling back to take another shot should his tackle football coach lose another one at home.


I mean, you know things are bad when Pat Boone's brother is calling the shots.* 


But what's worse is the fans felt the need to buy advertisements in local papers to voice their displeasure and anger. The group Forward Rebels! is pissed. Understandably so. Back in Georgia we just have fans that are starting to agree with the AJC Sports department. Actually, maybe that's worse. I don't know. Close call.


Anyway. It all adds up to a road win that seems ripe for the picking. And truthfully, that's what worries me. If this Ole Miss football team has any talent backed by a few ounces of intestinal fortitude they'll come out ready to play 60 minutes, more if needed. It won't be a matter of which coach needs the win more. It'll be decided by the players that came to play.


When I get right down to it, I know these things to be factual: Georgia has the better players, but Georgia hasn't proved it knows how to win much of anything lately. I'm sure I'll have more misery tomorrow, but suffice it to say I'm not feeling as comfortable as I should be feeling.


*Actually, Pete Boone is of no relation to Pat as far as I know. But a couple more losses and he might take on the "No More Mr. Nice Guy" persona as well.

5 comments:

Alan Ashley said...

At the end of the day, they still have The Grove and Hot Co-eds. So it can't be too bad. I know in our bad years, the hot co-eds helped me through.

Hunker Down Dawg said...

Bernie... I am not scared to say that the Georgia Bulldogs will open up a 55 gallon drum of whoop ass and our it all over Ole Miss Saturday. However... I am scared to commit to taking the Hunker Down Beer Challenge during this game. Dawgs 42-10. Or worse. Believe it!

JaxDawg05 said...

Which is worse, when a fan base buys space from the local newspaper to voice their displeasure with the direction of the football team or when an entire newspaper (AJC) pumps negative slants and stories about  the football team to get hits online? Seeing Chip Towers sitting on the steps of the bookstore during that ESPN story before the USCe game was TERRIBLE.

Matthew Smith said...

I think we kick a little A$$ this weekend.  I may be in the minority, but i think we are a better team than our record and have a legit shot at every remaining game on our schedule.  I may be viewing things through silver tinted glasses, but that is how I see it. Go Dawgs!

UGA70 said...

I also agree that we come away with a W on Saturday and while I'd like to see a 30+ point spread, I think Coach will literally call the Dawgs off early to avoid a big win over Coach Nutt because he's in a warmer seat than CMR.  However, I'm not sure any loss, regardless of score, even if it were close, will help Coach Nutt.