Tuesday, August 30, 2011

The Rambo Situation

Since news developed some yesterday after my Q&A with Weiszer, I thought I would take this a little bit further in a separate post. Let's look at the exchange closely:

Two days after Richt said that Bacarri Rambo isn’t starting at safety against Boise State, Richt would not say whether the junior is suspended for the game.
“No, I’m not going to address that,” Richt said. “At the appropriate time if anybody has anything like that, I’ll let you know.”
Asked when that would be, Richt said “I don’t know. I’ve got to figure that out. I’m still working on that.”
Rambo was off to the side not taking part in early drills, but was in a regular jersey, indicating he is not injured. He was again requested for an interview after practice but was not made available.
Let's face it, Rambo is in the doghouse. It could be a situation as close to the field as a bad attitude towards workouts and practice, or it could be something involving a poor choice off the field. Either way Rambo has fallen out of favor and won't play against Boise. That's how I read things. I don't know what has happened to cause that. If it's a bad attitude kind of a thing then it's easy to connect the dots. Rambo sat behind an older player who was not as good and waited his turn. I can see where he'd be upset if he came into camp thinking the position was his and suddenly it's the opposite.


If that's the case, the message is clear: show us you're the starter. What happened as far as depth chart decisions in the past is history. Get on the bus! 


However, if it is an off field issue (and it's been no secret that Rambo has not been made available to the media the entire month) I would caution others just as myself, to stay the course. To be honest, if you think about it...whatever Rambo has done is a much smaller story than how it is being dealt with publicly. It's been known for awhile that Carlton Thomas is suspended for the opener. Why is Rambo's situation so hush-hush?


And no, I don't think this is some ploy to out-duel the Boise coaches through the media. Rambo and I have something in common Saturday night in that we'll both be observers. Are any others in the same situation as Rambo? Is the bus leaving Athens with less players than we think?


The answers to those questions are coming, for better or for worse. What's crystal clear right now is that Richt ain't messin around and he'll let us know about it at whatever time he deems is appropriate.

5 comments:

Hunker Down said...

Bernie... I won't be playing against Boise either. But I am "On the Bus."

Bernie said...

I thought that was you spitballing from the back Hamp.

JaxDawg05 said...

It won't break my heart if I don't see Fudge chasing a TE after a 40 yard gain (Arkansas) or diving at the feet of a ball carrier (Florida)anytime soon.

IveyLeaguer said...

My heart isn't broken, either. Quite the contrary.

That Rambo isn't starting is the best news of the preseason. He was nothing less than horrible last year. I'm delighted with the developments, because there's no way I could possibly stand two more years of Bacarri Rambo.
~~~

AthensHomerDawg said...

I just won't be piling on Rambo.... wish him well. He has a lot of potential and is still a DGD.