Saturday, July 23, 2011

Team identity - stuck in the shadows?

Read this post by Quinton yesterday and it rang true...as well as rung a bell for me. Back in January, I suggested that the Georgia Bulldogs are suffering from a 24/7 hangover. In short, we're a football team waiting for a Stafford or a Moreno to turn a loss into a win. 


That has to end.


Team identity can be a tricky thing, especially when you group a collection of dreamy teenagers together with a bunch of players facing their last couple seasons. Staff and Moreno have been gone nearly three years. Surely that hangover has worn off. Surely we're ready for another set of studs.
Richt says, "Now those guys are gone, these 'superstars' are gone. Now everybody is thinking, I have to pull my weight, my opportunity is coming. I've got to do my part. I think that's going to be real healthy for us." 
Hard not to wonder if Richt is rehashing old history. So the question this season becomes...do we fall in line behind another set of stars, waiting for them to win the game? Has Richt tweaked the staff and personnel enough to break us out of this rut? It's hard not to hope we can emerge from the shadows as a team in spite of its star players.

2 comments:

William said...

The real question that should be asked is Bobo going to step up his game not which player

AthensHomerDawg said...

Wonder if Florida will suffer a similar fate???