Saturday, June 11, 2011

2011 Preview: under the radar

I was lucky enough to be asked to be a part of a Georgia Bulldogs preview by College Football Zealots. You'll have to wait til Monday to find the answers, but Tyler has posted the questions here.


One question I really had a fun, yet hard time answering: Who are some under-the-radar guys that you think will step up for Georgia this year? Again, I'll keep you in suspense as to my answer but there are a lot to choose from aren't there? Enough so I thought I'd list some alongside my thoughts.

  • Ken Malcome. Sure Crowell probably ends the season with the most starts in the backfield. But I saw and read enough of Malcome this Spring to think he could provide some fresh legs whenever needed.
  • DeAngelo Tyson. Nose wasn't the right spot and we all knew it. He should flourish when he's not only in a new role but has Big John and/or Kwame beside him. Add to that the fact that eventually we hope opposing offensive linemen are worried about Ogletree, Jones and Robinson.
  • Abry Jones. See above.
  • Rantavious Wooten. He's always been my guy. I'm not giving up now on the ball carrier. Too many yards and catches out there with AJ and Kris gone.
There's a handful. Can't wait to see what you all think...and what the roundtable thinks.

4 comments:

AthensHomerDawg said...

This will be the first year in a while where we are inexperienced at fullback. I'm curious as to what kind of production we might get there. Was pleased to hear that Pierce County's Quayvon Hicks has become the Dawg's number 7 commit. 6'2"/250 and he was told he could play FB.

Dawgfan17 said...

All good choices there. I think of that group that Tyson is the almost a lock to have a huge year. Last year he was very tough even though being undersized and asked to play out of his natural position. I think he will be a dominate force at DE.

Bernie said...

@AthensHomerDawg Yeh, I like Hicks. For 2011, maybe I'm being shortsighted but I'm just not worried about FB. I think Zander and Figgins are going to expand that position's role in our offense.

@Dawgfan17 Completely agree. And he deserves a breakout year.

Cojones said...

I'm with you concerning Rantavious. No mention of him by Richt and pundits was leading to some paranoia on my part. I too think he will be a great part of receiving corps. Look for him running long on occasion because he isn't that big a target underneath. I always think of him as a shorter version(haven't looked up his height) of AJ. As a 4-star receiver LSU wanted him bad 2 yrs ago. We got him, but he hasn't been a prime throw-to target yet. Look for that to change this year.