Thursday, July 15, 2010

GATA Woerner


There are a number of reasons I am a Dawg fan. Scott Woerner may be the first. Nowadays, just about every game is on television, but back in the late 70s/early 80s only a few were each season. Woerner always seemed to make the big plays at big times and I remember trying to recreate them in the backyard.

Case in point - many remember the fact that Herschel had a dislocated shoulder on his way to 150 yards in the 1980 Nat'l Championship game. But it was Woerner's interception at the end that sealed it in the Dawgs' favor.

One of my favorites is a game that helped pave the way for the Dawgs in that 1980 season. My dad (a Clempson alum) likes to bring this game up anytime I mention Woerner. It always ends with dad shaking his head in disbelief. Here's why...


Just because I am a Cedar Shoals grad...yeh, that's Homer Jordan with the big completion there to Woerner...D'oh! I can sense dad shaking his head again. 

Last I heard, Woerner is a middle school PE teacher and football coach up in Rabun County. If you're interested in learning whether the former Dawg defensive back ever knocked Herschel on his tail during their USFL playing days, check out this Dawg Post interview from a few years back.

If Erk Russell instilled the GATA attitude in the Georgia defenses, #19 embodied it.

GATA Scott Woerner! Damn Good Dawg.

11 comments:

AthensHomerDawg said...

Say ,wasn't that #19 B&W picture the same one on the wall at the Palace Theater?

Bernie said...

You're thinking of the Classic Triple AthensHomerDawg. Downtown, behind the GA Theater...it's now a parking lot...? I worked there in high school and part of college. I spent many hours serving those legends fresh popcorn while people tried to put Baby in a corner.

Lucid Idiocy said...

He says he has pictures of him tackling Herschel. You should call him, see if he'll scan one in an email it to you.

Bet he will.

j.leonardjr said...

Great memories of Woerner for me too. I had the great thrill at the height of my athletic career (7th grade)of receiving my All-City Team award from Scott at the Omni in 1983. The picture my mom took as I received my award from #19 was classic as I was the All-City Fullback at 5'7" 130lbs and the All-City Tailback from McEachern standing in line behind me to receive his award was about 6'1", 170lbs. Quite the contrast but I think we were pretty close in rushing yards for the season if I remember correctly.

I remember being so pumped when I found out Scott Woerner would be on the Omni floor handing us our awards during halftime of the Hawks' game.

Bernie said...

@Lucid Idiocy Don't have his phone number...but...

Mr. Woerner, if you read this and would be so kind...my email is berniedawg@gmail.com. Thanks!

@j.leonardjr Thanks for sharing. I hope your kids appreciate that heirloom as much as you one day.

Ollllddude said...

At different times we have been tailback U, or sometimes noted for linebackers or defensive ends, but more than anything over the years, imo, we have been safety U. Jake Scott, Scott Woerner, Ben Smith (when he hit someone in a game, you could hear it at Russell Hall) and Thomas Davis are some notable names. Scott W. could hang with any of them. On that ND championship game, it seemed like Terry Hoage had a big hand in it as well. It's definitely a team game.

Anonymous said...

I remember listening to the game on the radio. After Scott had his second giant play of the game,I'll never forget what Munson said. Clemson has all the plays, all the yards, and all the clock, but we've got Scott worner!!

mhw said...

j.leonardjr's post could have been mine. I too was at that Hawks game and met Mr. Woerner as an All-City all star in '83 (McEachern - offensive line). At the time, I didn't know what was cooler, meeting Scott Woerner or getting to walk across the Omni basketball court while all the giants were warming up. Afterwards, Mr. Woerner stayed around and signed these Hawks posters which, in hindsight, seemed ridiculous because neither of the two had anything to do with each other. I remember that while I was in line waiting for his autograph, he caught me staring at him in awe. He actually smiled and winked at me. At that point, someone could have kicked me in the groin and I wouldn't have felt a thing as it was unbelievable that one of my idols had just acknowledged my presence. That poster stayed on my bedroom wall for many years. Great Dawgs come and go, but, to me, the greatest Dawgs will always be Hershel Walker, Terry Hoage and Scott Woerner.

Obi's Sister said...

I went to high school with Scott. He was a great football player then, as well!

AthensHomerDawg said...

That's right the Classic ...what was I thinking. Had the fountain in the front right? Saw my first Rocky movie there on a Sunday afternoon. My girlfriend (and now my wife), was down from Disgusta Med. College and it was the Classic Triple and a trip to Steverino before she headed back. Was it really so much simpler then?

Bernie said...

@AthensHomerDawg Yes, the fountain that worked about one month a year. Here's a piece I wrote on the Triple about a year ago. It may be about time I elaborated on that story with ClemPson and Georgia football teams in the same theater at the same time.