Monday, October 19, 2009

SCAN Foundation Benefit - Bernie & Dooley's Endorsement


What'd you just tweet?

That's a question I get a lot of from the lady when the iPhone or the laptop is within reach. So there are many times I'll have to admit to her that I just shared a thought with my tweeps pertaining to my Dawgs' fading chances at the SECCG...or that my wife is smokin' hot....or that I still think Def Leppard's Pyromania is the greatest album evah!!

But over the weekend I had another reason to tweet. For every tweet that also contained the tag #beatcancer Miller Coors, eBay and PayPal would donate a penny to breast cancer research. Proud to say I tweeted my thumbs off.

My readers can probably be divided into two categories: the ones who for some unknown reason want to read my thoughts on the Georgia Bulldogs and the one who is my mom. For those in the first category, you probably deserve an explanation for why you've clicked over here for a post that doesn't even mention Rennie or AJs latest acts of awesomeness.

Well, in a phrase - cancer sucks and I want to help end it. It took my father-in-law just as my little girls were getting to know him. That sucks worse than anything Chan Gailey ever did on North Avenue. It has taken other lives dear to me, just as it has yours Reader. No reason it should affect our kids the way that it has us.

My father-in-law died from squamous cell cancer, a type of skin cancer that started in his throat. So anything that the Skin Cancer Awareness Network Foundation does has my full endorsement. Most skin cancers are not only treatable, but also preventable. SCAN Foundation works tirelessly to spread some knowledge. Knowledge that may help save your life. Maybe your kids'. Maybe your neighbor's.

Tuesday night October 20th SCAN Foundation is putting on a benefit at the Buckhead Bar and Grill. They'll have great raffle prizes, complimentary appetizers and a professional fashion show. If you come out, there's a chance you could go home with Georgia Football tix, a signed football or another great prize.

If you can't make it out, you can purchase raffle tickets online as well.


SPF Event Raffle TicketPurchase tickets now and help in the fight against skin cancer! Your charitable contribution to SCAN Foundation is tax deductible. Join us on Tuesday for SPF, SCAN Partners in Fashion at Buckhead Bar & Grill!

And to give this post more of a red and black flair, I'll leave you with some of Coach Dooley's own words in support of the SCAN Foundation. Thanks for your time, your click and most of all your support.

SCAN Foundation accomplishes its mission of skin cancer awareness through special awareness events as SCAN's Save Our Skin 5K where I was the Honorary Chairman for the Inaugural 5K in 2007. Dermatologists offered free skin spot checks during the event and valuable skin cancer information to all participants. - Vince Dooley

2 comments:

MikeInValdosta said...

GREAT POST, Bernie. And I am not FafafaFooling!

the wife said...

thanks honey- very sweet.