Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Blowing the Candles Out on the isms

UPDATE: Some of Grizzard's books are being republished. (h/t dawgmikey)

Today would've been Lewis Grizzard's 64th birthday. As I've explained before, the man was pretty high on my awesome scale. Still is, of course. That southern gentleman's grits never get cold as far as I'm concerned.

Grizzard's impression of Dooley
Last year I celebrated the occasion by reminiscing a spell, a close encounters of the Grizzard kinda tribute. Whiskey Nazis in the Night is still my favorite column, but today's feature is another one I hold dear. Those who know me know I'm not real big on political correctness. To Grizzard it was a true Pet Peeve.
At any rate, now all of us, including myself, must deal with petism. I can no longer refer to my dog Catfish, the black lab, as my pet dog Catfish, the black lab. Catfish is now my animal companion.
It takes a gifted writer to both prove a point and have fun doing it. Grizzard could tell a tale and keep you hanging on every word dipped heavily in sarcasm and generously coated in humor. Take the issue he's making fun of above, and just imagine how much hilarity would ensue had he been around for PETA trying to force the Seilers into a robotic model instead of an Uga in the red and black tradition. I may not have survived that column without an underwear emergency.

Even though Lewis Grizzard has long been gone from under the Grit Tree, for me there will always be Great columnists and Great Columnists Not Named Lewis Grizzard. I grew up seeing the South through his horn-rimmed spectacles. He made cheering for Georgia even more passionate and brought characters like Kathy Sue and Dorsey Hill to life. My laughter never ran short. My appreciation knew no bounds.

So today's a good day to read a chapter from your favorite book, or remember a column from his archives. God Bless Grizzard. And God Bless Catfish too.

4 comments:

AthensHomerDawg said...

Thanks for the reminder. I went to my bookcase to choose some Grizzard to reminisce with and all my copies were gone. My signed hardback copy of "They Tore Out my Heart and Stomped that Sucker Flat" was absent as well. WTF is going on I thought as I stormed out of the room and down the hall. " Calm down!" my bride said.....they're safe!You will find then all in your youngest sons room. I just smiled and went and took a shower. That boys got potential.

Dawgmjs said...

I have been searching for years for his column on O'Keefe. Cannot find it for the life of me

Bernie said...

@AthensHomerDawg Learn em young, raise em right! Well done sir!

@Dawgmjs Just another reason the AJC sucks. At least we'll always have our memories of it. Well...not always, but until that day comes we will.

Scott said...

I still get a little choked up every time I see that picture.

DGD...both of them.