Wednesday, June 23, 2010

End of an Era, a Haleian Effort



Just as the 1980 season came to a wonderful end in New Orleans and the 1990 baseball season left us wanting more...David Hale is taking his craft to the Philadelphia Phillies. To say he will be sorely missed is just another foul ball.


I've often said here in this space that if you're reading my stuff before you click to his, you should indulge yourself in a mental evaluation. The guy is more than fair and balanced. He gives great insight and writes with purpose. But as usual, he said it best with this extract from his original blog post:
My name is David Hale, and a quick Google search reveals that I am no more than the 63rd most important person with that name in the world. I’ve lived in Georgia for two of the past three years, during which time I covered UGA football regularly. I’ll tell you right off the bat I neither root for the Bulldogs nor do I root against them. What I root for is a good story, and luckily for me, Georgia routinely does a good job of delivering exactly that.

Read more: http://dawg-extra.blogspot.com/2008/07/kicking-things-off.html#ixzz0rg09MJvP
We are certainly lucky that he's been our beat guy, but we're even luckier that he's set the bar so high for the next guy. Although I don't see how anyone could clear it. After all, Hale was the recipient of the 2009 Bloodshot Eyeball Award


So we here at BDB wish the Great Hale the best of luck. In tribute, whenever someone reaches a particularly high level of Georgia athletics coverage...we shall refer to it as a Haleian effort. May the new gig pay you well enough to support your cheesesteak addiction.


Gee wiz...cheez wiz. We'll miss ya.

3 comments:

Ollllddude said...

Like Ching before him, and whoever preceded Ching (Slachbach?) our job is keep them in the nest for a while and then make them fly. Fly, David, fly. I am sorry the best you could was to cover the Phillies, but I digress...

MikeInValdosta said...

Champ Bailey was a Haleian cornerback, but he only covered half the field. David Hale covered it all!

David Hale said...

Thanks, Bernie. I can't tell you how much I've appreciated your support over the past couple of years!