Friday, April 9, 2010

Trivial Update - Home By The Sea


#ThursdaysRTrivial ep 40 coming up right after this PSA: when falling asleep on the beach, drain beer and reapply sunscreen...liberally.

Welcome to #ThursdaysRTrivial episode 40, "Matazanas Aint in Kansas". It's the Twitter game show that always uses SPF 50 cuz it mixes best with beer. REPLY back your answer for a chance at a fabulous prize. What was the address of frequent BDB reader Olllddude's grandfather's home?

As a blogger I appreciate any and most all comments. I didn't go all in on this to just hear how awesome my posts are. Come to think of it, that's a good thing.

No, I originally started posting thoughts on the intertubes to hear what others had to say, agree or disagree. But then there are times when people post comments that really hit home. Olllddude did that on Monday. I remember spending many an afternoon on my grandmother's property in Barnwell SC. Her acreage was big enough that I could imagine playing the Masters with just my 7 and 9 iron...and a slightly experienced Pinnacle 4.


Sadly, now that home and property is a mere shadow of what it used to be. Time can destroy wood and even hardened brick. But it can't touch the memories.


So when Olllddude was kind enough to give the address of his grandfather's home on St. Augustine, it struck a chord within me. And after a brief detour and a quick click! of the camera-phone, I must say that Olllddude had it pretty good at 404 Old Quarry Rd. Although that breeze through the palms might require a full 7 iron.  
: )


Just as I was relishing the fact that the wife took over the driving duties, she ran into the tail end of a traffic jam. I posted the TrT question just as we were trying to maneuver around it. Stuff_of_Legend couldn't provide the right path to get from HWY 42 south of McDonough to I-675, but he had the right tweet. And for that Scott takes home an authentic cannon ball from the Castillo de San Marcos and a ticket to board the seat of your choice on R.G. Snyder's red train Sight-Seeing tour.

You'll thank me later!


2 comments:

Ollllddude said...

Great photo, Bernie. Byt the time I was born, the house was no longer in the family so I never actually spent any time there, although, my father did. I spent most of my youth visiting relatives there across the island on Davis Shores. Not nearly as extravagant, but equally a source of imagination and mischief as our grandmother's property in SC.

Couple of quick stories: it was built around 1910 by my grandfather and was designed by Gould T. Butler. On the back of the property (no longer there) he had a dock on a creek that was deep enough at high tide for a fairly large boat to get in and out to open water. During prohibition, both my father and aunt recalled my grandfather leaving the house at night to meet a boat at the dock bringing boxes of 'treasure' from Cuba. :)

Bernie said...

It's a nice city. I hadn't been there in about 20 years. From the tour I gathered they are putting in a new high end district with shops, restaurants and hotels. I think the wife would like to go back one day, without the kids in tow.

Great story about the "treasure". I love a good pirate story.