Saturday, May 28, 2011

Beer of the Week: Allagash White


Generally on Friday after work I go to my local place, the Beverage Superstore which offers free tastings from 4:30-7:00. But Paul took this weekend off due to the holiday...so I set out to find a place to fill my growler.



I realize I said I'm not a fan of wheat beers...and this is the second of two posts on wheat beers. But this is also good. And I got it yesterday on tap at Ale Yeah! in Decatur. As luck would have it, this is the week Ale Yeah! opened their growler service.


First of all, what's a growler? Just a great, cheaper way to get really fresh craft beer. More specifically it's a glass jug (usually about a half gallon) that you can purchase for about $5. Then you fill it with brew, drink it in no more than a week and get it filled again. Most breweries and many pubs offer growler service these days. And stores are now following suit. It's cheaper because you're not paying for the fancy bottling and packaging.


Ale Yeah! offers a variety of choices. It would be hard to not find something you don't like. I had heard and read good things about this witbier. So for $9 I got the Allagash White and a mix and match sixer.


The White is a traditional Belgian wheat with a crisp beginning and a sharp flavorful finish. To me the spices overpower the orange taste, but you can definitely taste everything they put in it. One thing I don't like about this style of beer is that they aren't always balanced, one sip may not be consistent with the next much less from bottle to bottle. And you can't say that about the Allagash White. 


Very good, especially in the Summer. Definitely looking forward to this growler full.

4 comments:

AthensHomerDawg said...

Thought you'd enjoy this.....

www.fastcompany.com/1690988/infographic-of-the-day-your-complete-guide-to-beer


www.fastcodesign.com/1663929/redhook-packaging-now-crisper-cooler-more-refreshing?partner=homepage_newsletter

Bernie said...

Thanks man. I hadn't seen those. I'm a big Red Hook fan.

fourboysbrewpub said...

OK, here is another must try wheat beer if you haven't tried it yet. Oberon Ale by Bell's Brewery, (http://www.bellsbeer.com/) especially if you can find the 5L draught kegs.

Bernie said...

Haven't seen it in draught kegs yet, but I've got a few in my fridge. And now that I'm closer to the bottom of this growler, I would definitely rate the Oberon Ale higher.